Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled commercial Absinthe during the early nineteenth century in Pontarlier, France, employed a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs for instance wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and nutmeg. Wine is the standard base for Absinthe but a majority of distillers use other sorts of alcohol.
If you try to find Absinthe recipes online, you will notice that a lot of them include steeping blends of herbs in liquor like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How can you Produce Absinthe in your own home?
However some recipes on the web are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without having a license is illegal in many countries and you also need the right equipment and you need to find out what you are doing. So, are there more ways of making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This typically involves steeping herbs just like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for several days or even a couple of weeks in the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Just distillation will provide you with a real Absinthe, this will just give you an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Employing an Absinthe Kit – Many of the kits available online, just like the ones from Green Devil, are just steeping kits. They’re easier than discovering and preparing your own herbs but you’re just steeping the herbs in vodka again and making a flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much easier and better approach to make Absinthe at home. AbsintheKit.com produce essences for the Absinthe industry and the essences are made by distilling standard Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is performed for you and all you need to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you have a true Absinthe drink.
The essences are available in four distinct varieties:-
– Classic Green Essence to make a traditional “verte” Absinthe with a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to produce a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This also has a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to make Absinthe having a twist. This essence will make a yellow-orange coloured Absinthe which has a natural orange flavor and also a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence can make an Absinthe having a higher thujone content (55mg) as well as a more bitter wormwood flavor.
You can buy a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to make one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or obtain a kit for $29 to produce 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit also includes a handy plastic measure and 14 artistic bottle labels. All you need to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Bare in mind that the alcohol content of your Absinthe is determined by your alcohol base. Be cautious, drink Absinthe in moderation because it is a significantly stronger beverage than other spirits as well as fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or a neutral alcohol which does not have a substantial taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.