How to drink Absinthe properly is the issue a lot of people have once they have been able to obtain a bottle of the Green Fairy. In La Belle Epoque in France everyone knew how to serve and drink Absinthe, it was part of the
culture and was even more common than wine.
The ability of how to drink Absinthe was lost until recent times because of the ban on Absinthe in many countries for many decades. In the United States it had been prohibited in 1912 and Absinthes such as the “Lucid” brand have only just gone for sale in the US in 2007.
How To Drink Absinthe While using Classic “Ritual”
This is the authentic technique for preparing Absinthe used in pre ban times in the 19th century in France and Switzerland. There is an art to using this approach and it depends on utilizing a steady hand.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe in an Absinthe glass or large glass.
– Rest a slotted Absinthe spoon on the top of the glass and put a cube of sugar on the spoon.
– Carefully drip iced water over the sugar so that the sugar dissolves and drips throughout the slots into your Absinthe. Either use an Absinthe fountain or dripper to manage the dripping or make use of a very steady hand to pour the water coming from a carafe.
– Observe the Absinthe louche (become cloudy) as the water mixes in the alcohol.
– Take pleasure in your Absinthe.
How To Drink Absinthe While using Modern day Bohemian or Czech Technique
This is a more contemporary method that is a bit of fun and is scorned by many Absinthe drinkers. It is often used with cheaper Czech Absinthes and Absinthes that have a lower alcohol content. Care has to be taken when setting alcohol alight.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe straight into an Absinthe glass.
– Soak the sugar cube within the Absinthe and then place on an Absinthe spoon resting on the rim of the glass.
– Using a lighter or match, set the sugar on fire and view it as it caramelizes , melts and drips to the Absinthe, it may set the Absinthe on fire too.
– Carefully pour iced water into the Absinthe to extinguish the flames and to make the Absinthe louche.
– Consume your Absinthe.
Proportions of water to Absinthe depend on taste but a ratio which can be between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe is the recommended dilution.
How To Drink Absinthe in Cocktails
Ernest Hemingway famously created “Death in the Afternoon” – a cocktail of Absinthe and champagne, but there are several other cocktail recipes for Absinthe. You do ought to remember that Absinthe is an extremely strong Alcoholic beverage and is approximately twice the potency of other spirits like vodka and whisky.
Absinthe and Vodka – Mix 3 parts Absinthe with one part top quality vodka inside an iced glass (out of the freezer) and garnish with a sprig of mint.
Absinthe Explosion – Blend 3 parts Tequila, 4 parts vodka, 3 parts whisky and 7 parts Absinthe. Include ice and stir.
Absinthe Bloody Mary – Put 1 shot of Absinthe into a cocktail glass with ice and top up with tomato juice. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce and season with pepper and salt.
There are many other ways of how to drink Absinthe and you may even invent your personal cocktails.